Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Online art project idea.

Driving home this morning, I had an idea for a potentially brilliant online art project. Someone has undoubtedly tried this before, but because of the nature of the project, it would be almost endlessly interesting and fruitful.

A person documents and publishes on the web every word that they say for a given period of time. Say, a week. Simple, no? I had this idea because as I was driving, I was singing to myself and I sang the nonsense phrase, "OH, YOU MAGNIFICENT BABY!" This is not the lyric to any song that I know and it doesn't make any "sense," and yet it pleases me to sing it and to reflect on it. And as Richard Foreman acknowledges, there really is no such thing as "nonsense," anyway. Our mind automatically makes "sense" out of everything that is presented to it.

There would be serious potential to get to the bottom of some subconscious impulses with a exercise like this.

What would the overall effect be if one were to read the whole of one's verbal expression for a week, together, on one page? Or if someone else were to read it? How would it affect a person's life and choices if he or she knew that EVERYTHING he or she said would be made known to the public? Would it even be interesting? It would be interesting.

Granted, this would take a lot of time and effort. Recording and transcribing. But there may be something here. Yes...

3 comments:

Bridget said...

I like it. It would be especially interesting ot hear what people who work in really specialized fields would say. Or people who have pets.

RA said...

Or babies. Not sure anyone would actually want to know.

Adam said...

I'm reading this about a decade after you posted it but I love the idea. Tough, yes, especially for a week. A few random days, though . . .