Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Defending gurn champion

So, this is how I "normally" look:



I'm just offering this as a reminder since the photo below is slightly more hideous.

Votes are currently being cast in the UCI graduate drama gurn competition. The gurn competition was something introduced to UCI by the great UCI voice and speech Professor Dudley Knight (who retired last year). A gurn, the way we define it, is a contorted facial expression. It has something to do with the voice and speech work we do in class, but I fear explaining exactly how it applies would be difficult at best and boring at worst. So instead, look, if you dare, upon last year's gurn champion:



I'll let you know how things turn out this year.

8 comments:

Joanne said...

Actors are truly insane.

I guess that's all fine and good as long as you don't gurn my costumes.

Bridget said...

Was it inspired by the slightly crazy cereal lady?

jason vande brake said...

I LOVE the slightly crazy cereal lady! It was not consciously inspired by her, but I have a feeling that I was channeling her without knowing it. Now I have to find and post a picture of her.

jason vande brake said...

And Joanne, I wouldn't dream of gurning your costumes. I feel it is my duty to make the costumes look as good as possible on stage.

Unknown said...

Wow. Your time at UC Irvine has not been a waste. I mean that sincerely.

jason vande brake said...

It has been worthwhile!

Although, I'm confounded by your comment, Dave. Are you sincerely being sincere? Is my silly-ass gurn honestly evidence of time well spent, in your opinion? Anyway, I'm glad you like it.

Unknown said...

No, I'm not attempting that level of sarcasm.
Obviously, this is not a true indication of what you've learned.

But it's a great picture.

Bridget said...

It's the crazy cereal lady: http://areyouhungry.ytmnd.com/